Stoddard's Original Frozen Custard has been a family-owned business since 1948 when it was started by Lea and Lyle Stoddard.
Shortly after opening, Mr. and Mrs. Stoddard moved the building a short distance to where it currently sits at 1321 West Main Street, at the Stow-Kent border in Kent, Ohio.
By the time Mrs. Stoddard opened up her second season, the business had grown so much that Mr. Stoddard quit his job at the machine shop, and started working side by side with his wife on a daily basis.
After 19 years of continued growth, the Stoddards decided to retire and sold the business in 1967 to Daniel Kaye, who was a customer and was interested in buying the business.
Daniel Kaye, a construction contractor, re-opened Stoddard's in April of 1968 after doing extensive remodeling.
In 1981-1982 Daniel Kaye and his partner Dale Hughes, now a CPA in Hudson, Ohio, opened a second Stoddard's location in the Chuckery at the University of Akron's Gardner Student Center. The University of Akron location ran from 1982 to 1988.
Daniel Kaye owned and operated the custard stand in Kent, Ohio for 15 years, until his untimely death in October, 1983.
At this time Lisa Kaye, Daniel's oldest child at only 18, took over the day-to-day operations with assistance from her grandparents Peter and Agnes Kaye, mother Louanne Kaye, sister Tracey, and brother Danny. Continued